Even parents need reminders. Sometimes it’s easy to just get in the routine of parenting. Although Valentine’s Day is often for lovers, we love our kids! It is a special day to share with them just how much they mean to you. Here are a few tips and ideas.
- Take them out for breakfast.
- Give them 14 extra hugs.
- Make a list of everything that they are doing right, read it to them at breakfast.
- Treat their mother or father well, even if they are a jerk.
- Have one-on-one time with them.
- Play a family game.
- Make their favorite meal for dinner.
- Plan a family outing, go for a hike, or explore something new.
- Do a craft together and then give it to someone special in their life, let them pick the person.
- Read an extra book at bedtime, even if you are really tired.
- Be home when they are home.
- Make a list of what they have taught you and read it to them.
- Do something playful that uses energy like playing in the snow.
- Redirect your own frustrations and anger and respond as graceful as possible to situations.
Joseph R. Sanok, MA, LLP, LPC, NCC is a licensed counselor and owner of Mental Wellness Counseling in Traverse City, MI. He is also the author of Mental Wellness Parenting | A remarkably simple approach to making parenting easier.